WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?
back to all recipes
Peeps S’mores Cupcakes
- 2 Cups graham cracker crumbs, finely crushed (about 12-14 whole crackers)
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 Cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Box dry Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 Teaspoon espresso powder
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 Cups hot water
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
PEEPS® Buttercream Frosting
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 – 4 Cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 10 ounces Marshmallow PEEPS®, chopped (approx. 4 packages)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard cupcake pans with liners and set aside.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined, and small clumps form.
- Divide mixture evenly between cupcake liners, about 1 Tablespoon per liner. Pack it down firmly with the bottom of a small glass.
- Bake 5 minutes, then remove to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry cake mix and espresso powder.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk for 2-3 minutes, until batter is combined and uniform. Be carefull not to over mix.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, add batter on top of graham cracker crust, filling cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way full.
- If desired, sprinkle more graham cracker crumbs on top of each cupcake, then place pans in oven.
- Drop oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove and place on cooling rack.
- When cool, using a paring knife, cut a small, 1-inch deep cone of cake out of the center of each cupcake. Set aside.
PEEPS® Buttercream Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter 3-4 minutes until creamy.
- Add in the confectioner’s sugar slowly, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Taste after each addition to gauge how sweet you want it. Remember, you’ll be adding melted sugar-covered marshmallows into this!
- Add salt and milk, beating on low until incorporated, then on high for 2-3 minutes until fluffy. If you’re making multiple colors, divide your buttercream into separate bowls.
- In a double boiler (or a metal bowl set over a pot of boiling water – be careful with this!), melt your PEEPS®, using a silicone spatula to help the process.
- Working quickly, add your melted PEEPS® to a bowl of buttercream, and mix with a spatula until fully incorporated and smooth. If only making one color, simply add all of the melted PEEPS® into your stand mixer and beat on medium-high speed until incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag with your icings, striping each color separately inside to achive a variegated color.
- Pipe a small amount of icing inside the cutout cupcake centers, and proceed to frost each cupcake, re-striping the bag with your colored icing each time you fill it.
- Decorate with sprinkles and full-sized PEEPS®, and enjoy!