Peeps Party Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Food coloring in shade of your choice (optional)
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed with vanilla, stirring until well combined.. Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Stir in the buttermilk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 or until cake springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- With an electric or stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy, for at least two minutes.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of whipping cream, and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
- Slowly add in confectioners sugar, and mix on medium speed until light an fluffy. If needed add in additional whipping cream to thin consistency slightly. If desired, add in food coloring of your choice and mix well until color is blended throughout.
- Spread or pipe frosting over cake. For rose style frosting as shown, use a medium sized 1M tip and a piping bag